BBC Unveils Red-Button Interactive TV Schedule through February 25th
The BBC has announced the line-up of content that will be available on its red-button interactive TV service through February 25th:
- The new BBC One Saturday-night game show, "The National Lottery, Secret Fortune," is offering a quiz app through the red button. The app is available February 19th, 2:30-9:10PM on Sky and 6:00-9:10PM on Freeview.
- "Nuzzle & Scratch," a show from Cbeebies, a BBC digital channel targeted at preschoolers, is offering an app that allows viewers to access clips from the show and to take a 10-question quiz based on the show's latest season. The app is slated to launch on February 19th and to be available through March 4th. This month, it will be available on Sky from 6:00AM to 7:00PM daily; and on Freeview at the following dates and times: February 19th, 6:00-8:50AM and 11:10AM-12:50PM; February 21st and 22nd, 6:00AM-7:00PM; February 23rd, 6:00AM-2:00PM and 3:00-7:00PM; February 24th, 6:00AM-7:00PM; February 25th, 6:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00-5:40PM.
- Sky and Freeview viewers of CBeebies can also press red to access interactive TV games based on the channel's shows. The offerings available to viewers on each of the two platforms are slightly different--which, the BBC says, "has enabled us to offer the best games tailored to each system."
- The vampire-themed series, "Being Human," is offering a companion drama, entitled "Becoming Human," through the red button. According to the BBC, the companion show features two new characters (vampire Adam and werewolf Christa) and a crossover character (Matt) from the main show, who together attempt to solve a mystery. Viewers can either "sit back and watch" the eight episodes of the companion series or can "get more involved in the story as it unfolds, with extra clues and materials posted online at bbc.co.uk/beinghuman," the corporation says. "Becoming Human" will be available on Sky, Virgin and Freesat at the following dates and times: February 14th, 11:25PM-4:00AM; February 16th, 9:00PM-4:00AM; February 20th, 9:55PM-4:00AM; February 21st, 11:25PM-4:00AM; February 23rd, 9:00PM-4:00AM (with a break on Virgin from 10:25PM-12:15AM). It will be available on Freeview at the following dates and times: February 14th, 11:25PM-4:00AM; February 17th, 12:00-4:00AM; February 20th, 9:55PM-4:00AM; February 21st, 11:25PM-4:00AM; February 23rd, 11:55PM-4:00AM.
- Coverage of the BBC Radio 2 2011 Folk Awards is available through the red button on Sky and Freesat around the clock through 4:00AM, February 15th. It is available on Virgin from 6:00AM, February 14th through 4:00AM, February 15th; and on Freeview 2:00-6:00AM and 6:00AM-10:15PM, February 14th.
- To mark BBC Four's "Focus on Sculpture" season, the BBC is offering through the red button a line-up of sculpture-related programming from the BBC Archive. The line-up kicks off with a two-part documentary series, entitled "Henry Moore: Carving a Reputation 1898-1945," that originally aired on the centenary of the renowned British sculptor's birth. The series is available on all the UK's four main digital platforms at the following dates and times: February 16th, 10:55-11:50PM; February 20th, 8:55-9:50PM; February 23rd, 10:55PM-11:45PM.
- A video version of Radio 5 Live's "Christian O'Connell Show" will be available through the red button, 9:00-11:00AM, February 19th on all the UK's four major digital TV platforms.
- Fans of the new Anglo-US comedy series, "Episodes," can press red to access show-related content: "Each week on the red button, producer Jimmy Mulville interviews Matt Le Blanc, Tamsin Grieg and Stephen Mangan, discussing the making of 'Episodes' and the cast's own real-life experiences of the TV industry both here and across the pond in LA," the BBC states in its press materials. The content is available on Sky and Freesat at the following dates and times: February 14th, 10:25PM-4:00AM; February 15th-20th, 9:00PM-4:00AM daily; February 21st, 10:25PM-4:00AM; February 22nd-25th, 9:00PM-4:00AM daily; on Virgin at the following dates and times: February 14th, 10:25-10:55PM; February 15th, 9:00PM-4:00AM; February 16th, 9:00-10:25PM; February 17th, 12:20-4:00AM; February 17th-19th, 9:00PM-4:00AM daily; February 20th, 10:20PM-4:00AM; February 21st, 10:25PM-4:00AM; February 22nd-25th, 9:00PM-4:00AM daily; and on Freeview at the following dates and times: February 17th, 9:00PM-4:00AM; February 18th, 11:10PM-4:00AM; February 21st, 10:25-11:15PM; February 22nd, 10:10PM-4:00AM; February 23rd, 9:00-10:45PM; February 24th-25th, 9:00PM-4:00AM.
- During the February 17th and 24th broadcasts of the BBC One political panel talk show, "Question Time," viewers on all the UK's four main digital platforms will, as always, be able to view information on the show's panelists and discussion topics, as well as a selection of comments texted in by viewers, on Red Button page 155.
- On weekdays, around the clock, Sky and Virgin viewers can press red to access "Video Choice" on the BBC News Multiscreen application. The feature consists of a two-minute package of highlights which is billed as featuring the day's best picture stories, and which is put together by BBC News's On Demand team. On weekends, the daily highlights package is replaced by a topical video interview, entitled "Five Minutes with...," or by "OddBox," a show described by the BBC as "a round-up of the week's weird and wonderful videos."
The BBC has also released a schedule of the programming that will be available through February 25th via the BBC Sport Multiscreen, a 24/7 red-button application that provides up to five screens of extra coverage as well as round-the-clock headlines:
- February 15th, 7:30-10:00PM: "Midweek Final Score," which the BBC says will allow viewers to "keep up with the evening's football action...from a selection of commentated matches."
- February 17th, 9:00-10:00AM and 12:30-1:15PM: Live coverage of the skiing World Championships--Women's Giant Slalom from Garmisch.
- February 18th: 1) 9:00-10:00AM and 12:30-1:15PM: Live coverage of the skiing World Championships--Men's Giant Slalom from Garmisch; 2) 7:00-9:00PM: Live coverage of the Scarlets vs. Ulster Rugby Union match-up with commentary options (not available on Freeview); 3) 7:00-11:00PM: Live coverage of World Cup Track Cycling from Manchester.
- February 19th: 1) 2:30-5:15PM: "Final Score," in which the BBC says "Gabby Logan and guests" will keep viewers apprised of all the day's soccer news and results (note: the show will be available on Freeview, 3:00-5:15PM); 2) 7:00-11:00PM: Live coverage of World Cup Track Cycling from Manchester (note: the coverage will be available on Freeview 9:20-11:00PM).
- February 20th: 1) 1:10AM-12:00PM: a round-up of Football League action, presented by Manish Bhasin; 2) 5:45-6:15PM: Highlights of the skiing World Championships--Men's Giant Slalom from Garmisch.
- February 22nd, 7:30-10:00PM: "Midweek Final Score" (note: the BBC says that Freeview red-button availability of this show is "to be confirmed").
February 25th, 7:00-9:00PM: Live coverage of the Italy vs. Wales Under-20's Rugby Union match-up with commentary options; plus coverage of the second half of the Ulster vs. Blues Rugby Union game.